Internet problems are extremely frustrating when all the work has to be done on the Internet, and when you try to access the Internet, a strange error appears. This is especially true for the Standard Gateway Unavailable error that Windows users encounter when they have problems with their network adapters or routers.
Users report that their WIFI or Internet is permanently shut down or disabled and that the default gateway view is not an available error. This error may be caused by a misconfiguration of the router, or you may have third-party software installed on your device that may interfere with your Internet, or you may have problems with the drivers of your network adapter.
When the Windows diagnostic program is running, the following error is displayed: The default gateway is not available.
But before we start solving the bug, we first need to find out what the default gateway is and what role it plays in our networks and devices.
Which standard gateway?
The default gateway can be defined as a host or endpoint in a computer network that acts as a mediator or intermediary between your computer network and other networks, such as the Internet. The standard gateway serves as an access point to other networks for your devices on the local network. It serves as a dispatch point if no other route is indicated.
How can I fix that the default gateway is not available in Windows 10?
If you are using a Wi-Fi router, restart it with your computer, then try to access the Internet before trying any of the solutions listed here. Even if the error continues to appear after rebooting, it’s time to try the solutions we discussed below –
1. Changing router settings
If you are using a router and a direct Ethernet connection, you will need to change the Internet settings using the network adapter option.
- First contact the support team of your Internet Service Provider and discover all necessary information about your connection, such as IP address, gateway, subnet mask and DNS.
- If you are using a router, open the router’s administration page, usually 192.168.0.1, and change the Internet settings with the appropriate data from your ISP.
- If you use the Internet directly over an Ethernet cable, you must change your Internet settings on the Network Adapter Settings page under Network and Internet Settings on your Windows device.
- Open the Run file and enter ncpa.cpl and press Enter.
- Then right-click on the currently used network adapter.
- Then click Properties and select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), then click Properties.
- Then enter the information you received from your service provider and click OK to save it.
- Then restart your device and your internet should work properly.
2. Network adapter Driver Update
You can use software such as Driver Booster, which automatically checks for driver updates and installs uninstalled drivers, or you can manually go to Device Manager and update the driver for your network adapter.
- First open the device manager by pressing Windows + X at the same time and then select it from the list in the Power menu or type devmgmt.msc when Windows boots up.
- Then expand the Network Adapter option and right-click on the adapter you are currently using.
- Click on Properties to open the properties of the adapter.
- Now open the Driver section and click on the Update Driver option.
- A new window will open, click on the option Search for drivers on my computer.
- Then in the next window, click on the Let me choose from a list of available drivers on my computer.
- Now select the driver of the respective company, as your network adapter is included in the device management.
- Then click Next and the driver for your network adapter will be updated. You can now check if the internet is working properly.
3. Resetting the network settings
- Open the command line in management mode from the advanced user menu by simultaneously pressing the Windows + X keys.
- Then type netsh int ip reset and press Enter. Your TCP/IP will be reset.
- Now try to access the internet again after closing the cmd window.
4. Modification of energy management parameters
Power Management is a Windows feature that allows users to save energy by turning off drivers and applications to increase uptime. For example, turning off power management and maximizing performance solved the problem of the standard gateway for many users.
- Press Windows + X and select Device Manager from the list on the Advanced Users menu, or you can open Execute by pressing Windows + R, then type devmgmt.msc in the text box and press Enter.
- Now expand the network adapter option in the device manager.
- Then right-click on the currently used one and select Properties.
- Go to the service control section.
- Check the Allow computer to power off this device to save power and click OK to save it. Now restart the device and try to use the Internet.
- You can also go to Performance Settings and then to Other Performance Settings and change the wireless adapter setting to Maximum Performance.
5. Some other solutions
Here are some other solutions or fixes you can try if none of the default Gateway fixes described above is an available error –
- Uninstall all Mcafee antivirus applications if they are installed on your device. They often disrupt our network and cause this kind of problems.
- Try changing your DNS to Google 8.8.8 & 220.127.116.11 or Cloudflare 1.1.1 & 18.104.22.168.
- Turn off automatic login to Windows by setting a password for your local account, or simply log in with your Windows account and enter your password each time your computer boots up.
- If you have a dual-band router, connect to the 5 GHz WIFI band and use the internet. If you are already connected to the 5 GHz range, you can also connect to the 2.4 GHz range and try the Internet.
- You can also change the channel of your WIFI connection by going to the router’s settings and then trying to access the Internet.
- You can also try entering the properties of your network adapter, then change the advanced option and the available options to see which one solves the problem for you.
How do I recognize my default gateway?
To find the default gateway for your network, use the following tip –
1. For Windows
- Open the command line window in the Start menu.
- Type ipconfig and press the Enter key.
- You will see all the details of your network connection and when you scroll down, you will see the default gateway.
2. For Mac
- Click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of the screen.
- Then click on System Properties in the list.
- Then click on the network.
- The default gateway is specified as the router.
Title of Article
How can I fix that the default gateway is not available?
Learn how to fix a default gateway that is not available in Windows 10 if it still works with your WIFI adapter.
default gateway refused to connect,default gateway blank,norton 360 default gateway not available,the network gateway is accessible but,default gateway not available after sleep,lenovo yoga 730 default gateway not available,your gateway is not ready for internet access,internet default gateway,what is a default gateway,internet speed test,the default gateway is not available reddit,wifi doesn't have a valid ip configuration,lost ip address,reset the wi-fi 2 adapter,gateway communication error,gateway computer not connecting to wifi,default gateway not available lenovo thinkpad,how to change default gateway windows 10,the default gateway is not available bootcamp,the default gateway is not available windows 7 keeps happening,the default gateway is not available windows 10 keeps happening 2020,how do i fix the default gateway is not available windows 10,how do i fix permanently default gateway is not available?,the default gateway is not available windows 10 keeps happening 2019,tp-link the default gateway is not available,the default gateway is not available windows 10 reddit,default gateway not available every few minutes